PLEASANTLY RARE




Today I met one of the rare model conductors. Mature-looking, calm, collected and cool. His polite mien catches my attention. I'm mesmerized as such character in our Lagos bus boys is very uncommon. His calm spirit is infectious. No angry call for change. A comment in that regard illicit friendly simple response. 'E jo e ma binu' A pass of his fares from angles on the bus is met with a thank you.

After a usual detour to avoid a near standstill traffic, model guy calls for one passenger to fill the last space. A middle-aged woman enters with comment as to the fare. She was good-natured in her delivery. This meets an equally pleasant response from the conductor. They chatter about that for a few minutes. It is a sight to behold. I kept smiling like a sheep as I take notes.

Now there's a tradition that the conductor perches as the fifth person on the seat nearest to the door. This usually causes a stir even a quarrel. This day the bus boy didn't have to sweat or expend energy so much to get the cooperation of passengers. He only had to say please and the magic word along with his cool disposition made a space.

This ride qualifies as one of the best I have been on in my recent frequent journey to and fro Lagos.
As I enjoy the serenity, I realize the driver too is a cool dude. I only just observed cool RnB music is flowing out of his vehicle stereo at a moderate volume. This is nice. Why is it? Because it's different. Not the song. The song is well known. It's lonely. He plays Westlife songs from the album Coast to Coast - Against all odds, My Love, Fool again, What makes a man and the likes. A few passengers sang along in hush tones as we travel. This is a departure from the norm which is that most of his peers blare the music at a volume pleasing only to their ears without consideration for the passengers' eardrum. It is different because this genre of music is not common to this group. Come to think of it I really haven't heard him raise his voice to his co-worker.

What a peaceful and serene situation to behold. More beautiful to feel.

As this scenario plays out, I begin to relive many other experiences on rides into this city. I'm forced to wonder with so many questions on my mind. This is an ideal situation and it is possible. So why can't we have more of this sort of peaceful coexistence play out. Why do we have to be rude and brash with one another? Why do we want to spread bad energy? As though saying, I'm in a bad mood so you can't be happy.

In Lagos why does smart have to represent rude, uncouth. Right atop all other unavoidable stressors we indulge in these ones.

This Lagos I'm experiencing is possible. It can be replicated. It'll make life bearable.

Cheers to this Lagos


Comments